This incredible recipe by Crowded Kitchen is, in our opinion, the best way to celebrate St. Patrick’s day or any other Spring holiday for that matter! We love how the corned beef and caramelized sauerkraut meld together to create this savory, salty dish.
Corned Beef & Caramelized Sauerkraut with Bubbies Horseradish Sauce
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 2 hours 40 minutes
- 3 pounds corned beef brisket with spice packet
- 1 large onion, diced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp fine grain kosher salt
- Pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup Bubbies sauerkraut brine
- Water to cover
- 1 1/2 lbs baby red potatoes, halved
- 1 1/2 lbs carrots, peeled and sliced into 2-inch pieces
- 1 jar of Bubbies Sauerkraut, drained
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp Bubbies horseradish
- 1/2 tbsp dijon mustard
- Salt to taste
- Add corned beef brisket to a large dutch oven.
- Add in spice packet included with corned beef, bay leaves, onion, brown sugar, salt, pepper, and sauerkraut brine.
- Pour in enough water to cover the brisket by a few inches.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer (medium-low) and cover.
- Simmer for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, add in potatoes and carrots, then cover and continue cooking for 35-40 minutes.
- While potatoes and carrots are cooking, melt butter in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add drained sauerkraut to the pan and cook for about 20 minutes, stirring often, until the sauerkraut is caramelized.
- Stir together horseradish sauce ingredients.
- Remove meat from pot and let rest for 15 minutes. Slice across the grain and serve with caramelized sauerkraut, horseradish sauce, carrots, and potatoes.